birding-aus

Buff-banded Rails with chicks at Gorokan, NSW

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Buff-banded Rails with chicks at Gorokan, NSW
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:20:21 +1100
Hi All,

For the last couple of years along the foreshore of Tuggerah Lake at Gorokan, Central Coast, NSW, I have had the pleasure of regularly observing a Buff-banded Rail. A moth ago, I noticed it with another BBR and 4 chicks. Today I saw the pair, plus the 4 chicks and 2 other adults. It looks like my single BBR has expanded to a substantial family group.

I had always thought that BBRs were crepuscular and fairly skulking in habits. Not these. For the last week I have been seeing them, chicks and adults, out and about in the middle of the day foraging, calmly wandering around back yards and out on the mud flats, sometimes up to 100m from shelter.

The lakefront reserve they inhabit is a regular thoroughfare for people and their dogs, children and other pets, is a regular hunting ground for cats and foxes. That the BBRs have managed to survive, let alone breed and apparently thrive in such an urban environment is, to me, testimony to the toughness of this species.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford

Cheers,

Carl Clifford