birding-aus

Hybrid Whistler

To: <>
Subject: Hybrid Whistler
From: "Rob & Lou Drummond" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 20:33:19 +1100
G'day all,

Thanks to those who responded to my requests re Cocoparra.

Today in Hamilton Steve Clark and I watched an adult male whistler in my
backyard that we believe is a hybrid Rufous/Golden.
I will post a link to some of the photos taken but at this stage what draw our
attention was the fact that it gave both full blown Rufous Whistler song plus
the "eeechong" call as well as the full range of Golden Whistler calls.  I got
tapes out and it responded vigourously to both species, usually with the
relevant call but sometimes responding to Rufous with Golden and vice-versa.

 Good day in other ways:
White-throated Gerygone in backyard - 3rd in 11 years
88 Magpie Geese at gazette Swamp near Penshurst
! Pectoral and 2 Wood Sandpipers at Tabor Swamp.  A small restored remnant of
the once mighty Buckleys Swamp.

Happy to email photos of whistler to those interested

cheers Rob
Hamilton Victoria