birding-aus

Moreton Island - Australian Pratincole

To: BirdingAus <>
Subject: Moreton Island - Australian Pratincole
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 08:27:29 +0000
Hi All,

Today we headed off up the main beach of Moreton Island towards North Point.
About half a k south of Eager's Creek, Gavin started gibbering excitedly that
we had just driven past an Australian Pratincole.  I started considering
options for urgent medical attention associated with his total nervous
breakdown whilst he was undertaking a rapid U turn!  Sure enough not 20 metres
from us was a lone Australian Pratincole standing in the seaweed at high tide
line!  Whilst I sat with mouth agape, Gavin took photos of the bird as it
alternated between standing in the weed, running to feed above the weed and
running to feed in the wet sand. We know that the Wandering Tattler we saw last
week is not a new bird for Moreton Island, but we are pretty sure an Australian
Praticole has to be a first!!

Will post the photos on our return!

Regards

Judith