birding-aus

alice springs

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: alice springs
From: "gary wright" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 19:56:31 +1030
Today I saw proof we have had a lot of rain!  The budgies have arrived-I was
only saying to a friend yesterday that I was surprised that the budgies hadn't
turned up and there they were.  The other sure fire sign we have had a lot of
rain was the little button quail.
Lots of migrants and nomads here and nesting.
 Behind Flynn's grave on Larapinta dr, there were white winged trillers,
budgies, little button quail, crimson chats, red backed kingfisher, rufous
songlark, black faced woodswallow(nesting) masked woodswallow(nesting) diamond
dove.

On Ilparpa rd in an area called the claypans even though it is red sand, there
are  temporary lakes but alas no water birds.  There were plenty of white
winged trillers and rufous songlarks.  Other birds were red browed pardalote,
white winged fairy wren, white plumed honeyeater, black faced cuckoo shrike,
weebill, willie wagtail.  There is a patch of hakea divaricata so it could be a
good spot to search for white browed treecreeper although I didn't see any.

Last weekend I went out to Wigley's waterhole j ust north of Alice and while
Julie and I were having a couple of beers saw two separate pairs of black faced
cuckoo shrikes building with 10 metres of each other in teh same tree.  I guess
it hardly qualifies as communal nesting but interesting just the same.  Oh and
tonight as the blackfaced woodswallows were swooping me as I looked at the nest
there were at least three of them so I assumed they were communal nesters which
was confirmed by Pizzey.

Gary