birding-aus

Iron Range in the Wet??

To: John Tongue <>
Subject: Iron Range in the Wet??
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:58:12 +1000
G'day John,

You might like to see if the vehicle barge that runs from Cairns to Weipa? calls into Portlands Rd/Lockhart River.

The bottom line is that there are several major river crossings between Weipa and the Iron Range - in the case of the Wenlock and Pascoe Rivers you drive across the river bed. This is not a problem in a Subi in the dry, but not really advisable in the wet. The road might also be a bit slippery around the Range.

There are several good places to camp in the Park, with Cooks Hut the best. Mightn't be so attractive in the wet though. Chilli beach might be a bit drier than the rainforest, but can get a bit windy.

Portlands Rd is a nice fishing hamlet in a little cove, but not budget accommodation ...

Lockhart River was a bit of a rough town when I visited, but I think it is a dry community (as are a few other places on the peninsula) now.

The last major plane crash in Australia involved an airliner trying to land at Lockhart River. I believe that there were some negative findings made against the airline in the course of the investigation.

Regards, Laurie.