birding-aus

Southern Subspecies of Eastern Bristlebirdnorth of Sydney?

To: "'Andy Burton'" <>, <>
Subject: Southern Subspecies of Eastern Bristlebirdnorth of Sydney?
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:27:44 +1100
I've just quickly had a lot at Ern Hoskin's book "Birds of Sydney" (2nd
edition,1991) which says the following about the Eastern Bristlebird:

"This unobtrusive species formerly occurred in coastal sandstone areas in
dense low scrub, damp heaths and thick creekside vegetation. It had not been
seen in the County [County of Cumberland, Sydney] since 1921 when it was
recorded in the grounds of Prince Henry Hospital, Little Bay. It has now
been rediscovered at Mt Ku-ring-gai in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
[northern suburbs of Sydney] on 11 October 1986. The bird was seen again in
the same area on 8 April 1987. There are many areas in the County containing
the required habitat which would support the bird, but its presence is
difficult to observe because of its secretive habits. A project by competent
and enthusiastic observers may reveal further occurrences."

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW