birding-aus

Binoculars or scopes for birding

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Binoculars or scopes for birding
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:58:01 +1100
That's correct about relief.  Some people are also annoyed by too much, saying
it causes too much "blackout" if you don't have your eyes exactly centred.

Mine focus to 3.6m. Only once in the 18 months I've had them has this not been
close enough, but I'd prefer if they focused just a little closer.

If you're using "generic" binoculars then it's likely they don't have high
quality optics, but who knows?  Interesting that you found the more expensive
ones uncomfortable.  I looked around earlier this year and found Swarovski's
much more comfortable than Leica or Zeiss, or any of the cheaper brands I
tried. I'd like an explanation for that before I spend 1000's, just in case
it's something as silly as finding a misaligned pair that happens to correct
for some misalignment in my glasses.

Some people say you can see more with higher magnification, others say you
can't. Lower magnification does tend to mean narrower field of view. Some
people don't mind, but I find my wide field of view (8.3 degrees) handy, even
if it's blurry at the edges.

I find it hard to tell how much more I'd be able to see with expensive
binoculars when I test them in shops, I really think you need to try them for a
day, which isn't practical. I've decided to wait a couple more years before
trying to replace mine, and try out others' binoculars occasionally in the
meantime.

Peter Shute

Sent using BlackBerry