birding-aus

Binoculars or scopes for birding

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Binoculars or scopes for birding
From: Carl Billingham <>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:33:08 -0800 (PST)
Rob,

I have just bought myself a new scope, an 88 Kowa Optimax from the American
Birding Association - their website is
http://www.abasales.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16&sort=20a&filter_id=5&page=2

The turn around time and email support to complete the Australian Customs
documentation was great and they are far cheaper than anywhere I have found in
Australia.  I had also bought my binoculars from them previously so I had no
hesitations in going back to them.
I had to pay GST for the scope but not import duty as apparently optics are
exempt (there being no industry in Australia).  When I bought my bins because
they were under a $1000 I didn't get hit with the GST at all.

Here are some links which review scopes and bins etc.
http://www.4u-binoculars.com/
http://www.kowa-usa.com/digiscope/index.htm
http://www.optics4birding.com/scopes.aspx
 Just out of interest this is the company I bought my 100-400 lens from in
Brisbane. Their prices are pretty competitive.
http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/http://www.livingbird.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?srcid=-2&pid=272#top

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Carl Billingham
Taringa, Brisbane
Binoculars or scopes for birding
from [Rob Geraghty] [Permanent Link][Original]