birding-aus

Eurasian Little Grebe and others

To: "BirdAlert" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Eurasian Little Grebe and others
From: "Moorhead Family" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 08:44:12 +1000
Jack and I made a trip to Broome via Darwin and back via Perth home to Bundaberg between 28th Oct and 5th Nov. Main target was the grebe which we saw easily at Leanyer poo Ponds Darwin. Co-incidentally , we met Richard Baxter and Biggles who were just back from their Ashmore epic......Note that the Australasian Grebes are colouring up now ,so look for the lack of yellow around the eye and the extensive red right down the neck......We saw 205 species and highlights include (with a note if applicable)

Darwin Highlights

Eurasian Little Grebe ...Leanyer....
Little-ringed Plovers (4)...Leanyer...Wow!
Mangrove Robin (Jack's boggy bird after 3 trips up that way)......Palmerston Poo Ponds mangrove corner.....Ruff turned up just after we left! White-breasted Whistler......Palmsterton PP also....Note we saw Arafura Fantail there last time also Rufous Owls (2 adults) showing well in the rainforest...(and Barking Owls in the main carpark tree near th entrance) 20,000 waders at Lee Point being harassed by Clive's people alledgedly being caught and banded to check for Bird Flu Chestnut Rail (new for Jack) Lee Point (Car Park at Buffalo Ck)....Middle tide about 9am....was actually talking to Biggles on the mobile about other options for the rail when one walked out 10 m away! Rainbow Pitta....Heard and seen easily at Lee Pt....Ocean side of the road 200m from the end.
Oriental Cuckoo ....Holmes Jungle..... morning

Broome Highlights

Meeting Justin Langer (there for a function and happy to NOT be opening for Australia in India!); Geoffery Rush and crew producing a movie (and lots of Australian actors who I recognize but don't know names of) All the Mangrove specialities (Dusky Gerygone; Mangrove Golden Whistler (new for Jack); Mangrove Grey Fantail; Broad-billed Flycatcher; White-breasted Whistler etc)....best spot is the gap in the mangroves mid-tide behind Chinatown (look for the rock wall)....walk in , follow the mud-crabbers walking tracks....all dead easy. Eastern Yellow Wagtails (max count 43).....Woolworths ovals in town....look for the high light towers...most birds seem to spend their time in the irrigated, white-piped area (town side) Green-headed Yellow wagtail (1)...Woolies...new for Jack and I (since the split) Long-toed Stints (20 plus in 5 locations)....and ,embarassingly, new to me!....We saw 2 at the Broome Poo Ponds (this site is difficult to see into now and access is denied (even to BBO staff!))....great spot for Barn Swallows though.....Fantastic spot though is where they are building a new water tower on the Derby Rd (adjacent the roundabout)....A single Little Ringed Plover is resident there too....not often that you can call a vagrant wader from the car! Yellow Chats (30 plus)....Roebuck Plains.....saw many on the fence only 5 m from the car including stunning males....Recommend the plains tour with Jon at the BBO....not expensive and supporting Birds Australia too....but best for me was fantastic phot oppportunities for Northern Nail-tailed Wallaby
Oriental Plovers (50 plus)...Roebuck Plains
Oriental Pratincole (5).....Taylors lagoon ....we think first for the season....Lots of L-T-Stints, Black-breasted Buzzards and 43 others at the actual lagoon....77km west of Broome (RHS before the floodway.....through gate (keep closed)....Google earth is great!...Max temp that day was 46deg!....take lots of water...

Derby Highlights

The Poo-ponds and wetlands area is surely one of the most 'birder- friendly' and spectacular places on any Kimberley trip.
Swinhoe's Snipe (maybe first for season...new for Jack)
Eastern Yellow Wagtail...trying to look like a Forest Wagtail or Citrine
L-T-Stints (5 plus).......50 species avocets, Brolgas, Black-tailed Godwit...heaps of sandpipers....wow A funny looking tern which we didn't get a pic of...possible Black...others please check out

All the best and thanks again to Biggles once again....Jack is on 635 now I think.

Cheers,

Bill