birding-aus

Samsonvale cemetery, SEQ

To: (Birding-Aus)
Subject: Samsonvale cemetery, SEQ
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:10:33 +0000
Hey all,

Well i'd been meaning to get up to Samsonvale and after seeing some reports
from this week, I decided to drive up there this morning. My main targets were
rails, quails, and cuckoos. The Spotless Crakes were really easy to get and I
would have probably gotten some really nice pics (it stood out in the open in
full sunlight!), but the first time I saw the bugger I had my bins in my hands
instead of my camera and when I went to switch, it ran back into cover. There
are at least 3 birds, but i'm pretty sure there are 4. Also heard Lewin's Rail,
and possibly a quick glimpse, but nothing more. After getting my fill of rails,
I spent the next 4 1/2 hours walking around trying to find quails. I was pretty
sucessful getting Brown, King, and Painted Button Quails. My attempts to find
Horsfield and Little Bronze-Cuckoos was futile though. Lots of raptors around
too and the White-winged Triller reported earlier this week is still hanging
around the car park.
After Samsonvale, I tried to located the Powerful Owls at J C Slaughter falls,
but failed. I also tried to find the pygmy geese at Greenwood Lake in
Forestdale, but I couldn't even find the lake! Apparently what I thought was
Greenwood lake on the map isn't, because all the roads I drove on didn't have
any views of any lakes. Oh well. On the way home I did a quick check of Eagleby
and Coombabah Waste Water Treatment Plant.

Highlights:

Samsonvale Cemetery
Spotless Crake 3-4
Lewin's Rail 1 (heard)
Whistling Kite +8
Black-shouldred Kite 1
Little Eagle 1
Brown Goshawk 1
Grey Goshawk 2
Brown Falcon 1 (darkest brown one i've seen so far)
Spotted Harrier 1
Brown Quail 10 flushed, a few more heard
King Quail 1 (female)
Painted Button Quail 3
UnID Quail 6
White-winged Triller 1
White-breasted Woodswallow
Chestnut-breasted Mannakin
Red-browed Finch
Grassbirds and Cisticolas- heaps

Eagleby
Caspian Tern 3
Latham's Snipe 2
Comb-crested Jacana 3
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper 6
Black-fronted Doterrel 2
Magpie Geese 16

Coombabah WWTP
Mangrove Gerygone (board walk)
White-throated Honeyeater (board walk)
large numbers of teal, black ducks, and little black comorants
I have a good feeling about this place, some kind of rarer duck is going to
show up eventually

Good Birding,
Ross Gallardy
Robina, QLD