birding-aus

Centennial Park, Sydney inc Aust Shoveller

To: <>
Subject: Centennial Park, Sydney inc Aust Shoveller
From: "Eric Finley" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 12:03:46 +1100
There were 5 Australian Shoveller (2 male 3 female) present on the main
pond in Centennial Park late yesterday afternoon 6 Oct.

Also witnessed an interesting event on one of the islands in the pond
where 2 Aust Ravens were attacking a Brush-tailed Possum. The possum was
on the ground and appeared to have some kind of minor injury to its
rump. The ravens were hopping in and jabbing at the injury. The possum
ended up backed up against a tree trunk in a defensive posture,
partially raised on its lower back with all 4 legs facing the birds,
'growling' at the birds and using its front legs to lash out at the
ravens as they came in close. The possum appeared exhausted but
eventually drove one  bird away after I'd watched for about 15 minutes.
When I returned about 20 mins later there was no sign of any of them.
Puzzled as to what the possum was doing on this very small island where
I doubt it would have access to enough food to survive for long.  I
didn't estimate the distance from the bank but this was probably at
least 25 metres at the closest point.

I was at Lachlan Swamp to check the progress of the nesting Tawny
Frogmouths here. The nest is visible but appears to have been abandoned
and as there was no sign of chicks on my previous visit I assume the
nesting was not successful. No roosting birds were seen but conditions
were poor with light falling and a strong wind blowing.

Eric Finley