birding-aus

birds reproduction

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: birds reproduction
From: "gary wright" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 08:10:06 +0930
Hi

could somebody put me onto an article or answer the following questions
prompted by white plumed honeyeater building nest in our yard.

1. I understand length of day stimulates sperm production in male(?).  Is this
the same for eggs in female-would eggs be produced irrespective whether she
mated?  If she didn't mate, would they just be voided?
2. Is nest built before courtship?  Before copulation?  I am guessing
courtship, nest, copulation would be the order of the day
3. I gather there would be the necessary numbers of eggs in different stages of
development within the female.  Are they soft shelled until the last minute
allowing fertilisation or how does this work?  Do the eggs only harden as part
of the birth process?
4.  What is the gap between eggs in a bird like white plumed honeyeater and if
they wait to start brooding until all eggs are laid, do  they not die because
they haven't started changing from egg to bird?

Thanks for your help

Gary