birding-aus

Some Queensland ticks

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Some Queensland ticks
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 16:29:28 +1000
Hi folks,

For some time I have wanted to visit the Sundown NP area between Stanthorpe and Texas in the border ranges. The NP is just inside Qld. Jack still hadn't seen Diamond Firetail, Turquoise Parrot and Painted Button-Quail. We saw these and many other excellent species well in the area. A friend recommended that we access the main camping area in the NP itself via Springdale Rd. This is excellent advice and is probably one of the best road verge birding precincts that I've encountered anywhere. Most of the road reserve is well vegetated and crossed by numerous little gullies. At almost any of those water points we came across terrific woodland species such as Hooded Robins (nesting also); Little Lorikeets; Black-chinned Honeyeaters and 2 of our targets, Diamond Firetail and Turquoise Parrot. The best spot was at 28deg 45'16" 151deg39'44" (especially if you want the firetail on your Qld list). As it turned out, we ended up bush camping at Nundubbermere Falls the first night because we spent so much time out of the car! The camp there was fantastic and I would strongly recommend it for those with real 4WD's. Our next 2 nights were spent bush camping at the Broadwater campground adjacent the Severn River. About a km north of the campground ,there is the Permanent Waterhole (self explanatory)......excellent birding including 4 cuckoos (excluding us), a Platypus and would be great for a canoe or swim on a hot day. The Turquoise Parrots are in small numbers and best seen at the southern end of the campground itself. We only saw a max .of 3 pairs later in the afternoons. Often single neophema would buzz over but were hard to locate in the trees. There are many Red-browed Firetails along the river and the Diamonds are tricky to get onto in the NP itself (I would take Roy's suggestion and pick them up along Springdale Rd). We did however see a single bird on day 3 near the Turks. Day 3 though, was devoted to the Painted Button-Quail for Jack. He is only 12 but the PBQ was a bit of a boagy-bird for him. As it turned out, using the best of local knowledge and experience, it took a few hours to find platelets in suitable habitat. Then I saw one and Jack didn't. It was a bit like the Blue Petrels near Macquarie Is but that's another story. Anyway eventually we heard some booming and had brilliant views of a female which walked 360deg around us as we sat on the dirt. 28deg55'05" 151deg34'47" is the start of a bit of a track where the PBQ frequent.

Good luck to the Eurasian Little Grebe chasers........the airfares are too expensive for us over the school holidays. The last one in 1999 stayed for about a week apparently.

Cheers,

Bill

PS Jack's trip report including photos etc will be available soon to read/download on www.mywidebay.com/jack along with his other reports. As always, he loves any feedback (especially at the moment since I said we can't afford a dash to DWN for the grebe.

--
I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for Personal use.

The Trial and Professional version does not have this message in the email