birding-aus

REGENT HONEYEATER at Cooleman Ridge NR

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: REGENT HONEYEATER at Cooleman Ridge NR
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:26:19 +1000
Further to John Leonard's message yesterday, the following extra information is from David Geering:

There are essentially three major (or core) breeding areas - Capertee Valley, Bundarra-Barraba and Chiltern. Breeding can occur almost anywhere in the breeding range at times (Canberra in 1995 for example). It is unclear as to whether we really have discrete breeding populations, although there is good evidence that there is. Having said that, there is also evidence that there is actually one mega population.

We have no individually colour-banded over 500 Regent Honeyeaters (although by far the majority of these were banded in the Capertee Valley). There have been some very interesting long distance movements including:

Capertee Valley, NSW 26-10-94 to Chiltern, Vic 21-07-01  472 km  (6yr8mth25d)
Watson, ACT 15-12-95 to Capertee Valley, NSW 08-03-98  269km  (2yr2mth21d)
Watson, ACT 16-12-95 to Capertee Valley, NSW 08-10-97 258km (1yr9mth22d) Bred at both locations.
Barraba, NSW 08-04-95 to NSW Central Coast 17-07-02  355km  (7yr3mth9d)
Cement Mills, Qld 10-09-02 to Capertee Valley, NSW 08-09-08 534km (5yr11mth29d)

There are also numerous movements of Regent Honeyeaters recorded 50-120km from the banding location and many more in the general area of the banding location some time after banding. Some of these longevity records include:

Capertee Valley, NSW 21-06-97 to Capertee Valley, NSW 17-08-08 11yr1mth27d (14km)
Howes Valley, NSW 14-08-94 to Capertee Valley, NSW 07-09-04 10yr0mth24d  (58km)
Chiltern, Vic 03-11-89 to Bobinawarrah, Vic 21-10-99  9yr 11mth13d  (43km)
Chiltern, Vic 10-11-88 to Chiltern, Vic 01-09-98  9yr9mth21d

There are obvious others that range up to the elapsed time shown above (some of those on the first table for example).

The above information needs to be interpreted with care, particularly the movement data. Just because we have birds moving between the core breeding areas does not necessarily mean there is free and regular exchange. We do not have enough data to support that. In fact, the data set, when viewed in its entirety, suggests that most birds return to the same general breeding area with only some genetic interchange between them.

It is a complex picture and we may never entirely understand it but pieces are coming together.

David Geering

On 9/22/08, John Leonard <> wrote:
 > You have to wonder where this bird is from. The last RH in the ACT was
 about 4-5 years ago. My understanding is that in the last ten years
 RHs have basically contracted to two populations: Capertee Valley
 (NSW) and Chiltern Forest (Vic). Do single bird commute between the
 two, or is there another population we don't know about somewhere
 nearer to the ACT?

 John Leonard