birding-aus

Subject: [Birding-Aus] Noisy Miner behaviour observations

From: "Belinda Cassidy" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:53:55 +1000
Hi Akos,

We have photographed noisy minors doing it with grey butcherbirds in a large
group on the ground. They all looked dead, but when we approached out of
concern, they all flew off to check out who we were, and then flew back onto
the ground to
continue.

The birds seem to zone out when they do this, and can be approached.
Perhaps, then, doing it in large groups is for protection (although we've
photographed many species of birds doing it alone too)

I've been told that its to kill mites.

Cheers,
Belinda