birding-aus

Jervis Bay on NSW south coast

To: <>
Subject: Jervis Bay on NSW south coast
From: "Eric Finley" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:59:37 +1000
Hi all

Had a short stay at Hyam's Beach on the Jervis Bay border between NSW
and the ACT over the weekend. Warm conditions on Sat 13 and stormy humid
conditions on Sun 14, the latter putting paid to plans for a longer walk
in Booderee NP. A few interesting birds seen:
Eastern Bristlebird - these are very vocal at present, presumably a
seasonal thing. Once you familiarise yourself with the call they seem
widespread, in a wide range of heathy habitats. My first views were a
few metres from the ruined lighthouse in Booderee NP around midday on
Sat, with 2 birds repeatedly calling from semi-exposed locations in
leptospermum/acacia/banksia dominated heath which looked to have been
burnt out probably 3-4+ years back. The only other sightings I had were
of a single bird on the hilltop just above Hyams Beach along the fire
trail running west off the Hyams Beach road, which is in Jervis Bay NP.
This habitat was more recently burnt - within last 2 years I guess -
with a largely grassy understorey and thick dead banksia burnt out by
the last fire. It was adjoining classic low swampy heath, where other
birds were calling. I also heard other bristlebirds calling from taller
heath habitats along the road through Booderee. The common call reminded
me a little bit of the 3-note Stubble Quail call but with an extra note
and a louder, richer quality. I heard 8-10 birds in total.

Square-tailed Kite - one seen floating harrier-style over heathland
above Hyams. This was my first ever sighting east of the ranges. What a
great bird - look forward to seeing some of the western Sydney birds
soon.

Brush Bronzewing - 1 in heath above Hyams Bch

Sooty Oystercatcher - 3 at Hyams Bch

Brown Quail - 4 roadside in Booderee NP

Dusky Woodswallow - a few seen in Jervis Bay NP

Fan-tailed Cuckoos very vocal but no spring migrant species seen/heard

White-fronted Tern - few off lighthouse cliff in Booderee

Aust Gannets - in large numbers offshore and smaller numbers in the Bay

Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters seemed quiet - barely heard and only a couple
of sightings but didn't visit much typical habitat for them.

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos - small groups 3-5 widespread

Little Corella - flock c 25 in Hyams Bch

Had an interesting sighting from the lighthouse ruins in Booderee. 2 Aus
Fur Seals were playing with a large fish in the swell just off the rocks
below the lighthouse, throwing the fish to each other. This attracted
the attention of a White-bellied Sea Eagle which swooped down in an
attempt to grab the fish. The eagle made 4-5 attempts to grab the fish,
and after the 2nd attempt I noticed the seals appeared to be teasing the
eagle - holding the fish up just above water, and submerging just as the
eagle was about to grab the fish. The eagle twice hit the water in what
looked like a very near miss but finally gave up and moved on. The seals
then resumed their food play, which continued to attract the attention
of a small group of Crested Terns who appeared to be picking up small
parts of the fish which were being scattered as the seals threw it
around. Pics obtained but average quality due to distance and breezy
conditions/no tripod.

Eric Finley