birding-aus

re swift parrots at penrith

To: "'Jill Dark'" <>, "'Evan Beaver'" <>, <>
Subject: re swift parrots at penrith
From: "Susan Kozianski" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:35:12 +1000
Hi Jill, Evan and all

Unable to get away sooner, on receipt of Evan's message thismorning I jumped
in the car and headed for the spot. I also had no trouble finding the birds
and observed them for half an hour or so. They were mainly in the trees in
the childcare centre near the carpark. For some time I could see and hear
about 6 birds in the trees, then bless them, they decided to move across to
the bare branches of trees in the carpark. 7 swifties sat highly visible
there for several minutes then moved into a nearby ironbark. Then one or two
at a time and calling as they went over about 10 mins or so I guess, more
birds flew over to join them. The birds in my nearby trees also got more
vocal and I was able to visually identify several more before they moved off
to the carpark ironbark. There were definitely 10 swifties visually
identified, but I counted 18 if you count the ones that flew to the other
tree and called as they did so.  There were still quite a few additional
birds calling and feeding in my nearby trees, but I could not swear what
they were though they sounded like the swifties.  There was at least one
musk lorikeet in the tree keeping pretty quiet and a couple of rainbows also
keeping fairly quiet.

Then the rain came down more heavily and I decided to call it quits.  It was
wonderful to have the opportunity to go see some swift parrots - I haven't
seen them before. I particularly wanted to see them moving about calling and
such to help me find them in future and I was surprised they call quite
differently to what I was expecting. Now I am FAR better armed to hunt some
down around Campbelltown, where we have similar flowering street trees and
stacks and stacks of all sorts of lorikeets...

So thanks for the info, and thanks Evan for letting us know they were still
there, I was thinking I'd missed my chance.

Sue