birding-aus

Warriewood Wetlands Sydney 14 Sept

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Warriewood Wetlands Sydney 14 Sept
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:47:50 +1000
Hi all
I went to Warriewood Wetlands on Sydney's northern beaches this morning between 6 and 8am (which meant I got about 80 minutes in before it started raining!). Some good birds about, notably: - single Baillons Crake feeding and showing very well on mud just as one enters the Swamp Mahogany area from the main boardwalk (on west side, just after the "birds to look for" sign)
- several Dollarbirds, presumably just arrived from the north, cackling away
- plenty of singing Olive Orioles
- a single Spangled Drongo calling from cover in Irrawong Reserve (at the little waterfall in the cabbage tree palm grove) - quite a late stayer(?) but that "twanging" call was a real give away - Eastern Whipbirds were very active and I got several good views of "whole" birds out in the open
- Buff Banded Rail calling
- Fan tailed Cuckoo
- Rufous and Golden Whistlers calling actively and showing well

I saw glimpses of a large bird skulking in trees (not seen well) that set the miners off as I started my walk - it had a contrasting back vs belly, which was an overall paler colouring, so I suspect it was a Nankeen Night Heron - I have seen them there before - but it was deep in the trees. I met another pair of birders and we shared great views of the Baillons. They suspected they had seen a Pallid Cuckoo as well, but it had gone before I met them. I noticed that some good work recently undertaken at the site to fix up boardwalks etc. Seems quite a few of the Swamp Mahoganies in Irrawong have gone?
Cheers
Tom Wilson