birding-aus

Bowra trip report

To: "Birding-aus ((E-mail))" <>
Subject: Bowra trip report
From: david taylor <>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:43:36 +1000

Just back from a flying visit to Charleville and Bowra Station at Cunnamulla in south west Queensland with myself and John Hammond. It had been many years for me since I had been out that way, and it didnt disappoint. We flew to Charleville and drove down to the property. Very relieved we had a 4wd as the property tracks were really wet and slippery after recent and highly unseasonal heavy rains which made accessing various ares on the property difficult.

But in three days we managed to see 104 species whilst enjoying the peace and tranquilty of this marvelous property. It was literally alive with birds!

Species seen ( at the property and/or en route from Charleville)

Emu
Australian Wood Duck
Pacific Black Duck
Australasian Grebe
Australian Pelican
White-faced Heron
White-necked Heron
Australian White Ibis
Straw-necked Ibis
Black-shouldered Kite
Black Kite
Whistling Kite
Spotted Harrier
Brown Goshawk
Collared Sparrowhawk
Wedge-tailed Eagle
Little Eagle
Brown Falcon
Nankeen Kestrel
Brolga
Black-tailed Native-hen
Australian Bustard
Little Button-quail
Black-winged Stilt
Black-fronted Dotterel
Red-kneed Dotterel
Banded Lapwing
Masked Lapwing
Common Bronzewing
Crested Pigeon
Diamond Dove
Peaceful Dove
Galah
Little Corella
Major Mitchell's Cockatoo
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Cockatiel
Red-winged Parrot
Australian Ringneck
Red-rumped Parrot
Mulga Parrot
Budgerigar
Bourke's Parrot
Boobook Ninox
Barn Owl
Tawny Frogmouth
Laughing Kookaburra
Red-backed Kingfisher
Rainbow Bee-eater
White-browed Treecreeper
Splendid Fairy-wren
Variegated Fairy-wren
White-winged Fairy-wren
Red-browed Pardalote
Striated Pardalote
Inland Thornbill
Chestnut-rumped Thornbill
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater
Striped Honeyeater
Yellow-throated Miner
Singing Honeyeater
White-plumed Honeyeater
Brown-headed Honeyeater
Black Honeyeater
Crimson Chat
Jacky Winter
Red-capped Robin
Hooded Robin
Grey-crowned Babbler
Hall's Babbler
Chestnut-crowned Babbler
Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush
Crested Bellbird
Rufous Whistler
Grey Shrike-thrush
Restless Flycatcher
Magpie-Lark
Grey Fantail
Willie Wagtail
Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrike
White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike
White-winged Triller
White-breasted Woodswallow
White-browed Woodswallow
Black-faced Woodswallow
Little Woodswallow
Grey Butcherbird
Pied Butcherbird
Australian Magpie
Australian Raven
Torresian Crow
White-winged Chough
Apostlebird
Spotted Bowerbird
Richard's Pipit
Zebra Finch
Double-barred Finch
Mistletoebird
Welcome Swallow
Fairy Martin
Clamorous Reed-Warbler
Rufous Songlark
Brown Songlark
Starling

What we didnt see included absolutely no cuckoos, no western gerygone (surprising) , painted and pied honeyeater, redthroat, plum-headed finch, white-browed babbler, orange chat, flock bronzewing and very few waterbirds.

cheers,

David Taylor
Brisbane