birding-aus

Hybrid Rosella at Wilson Rsv. Ivanhoe, Vic.

Subject: Hybrid Rosella at Wilson Rsv. Ivanhoe, Vic.
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:38:39 +0800 (WST)
About 11.30 this morning I was in the car-park of Wilson Reserve, Ivanhoe; this
park is
on the Yarra bank, and the car-park is off The Boulevard, down a steep drive.

   I observed a Rosella which at first sight, when seen from behind, seemed an
Adelaide
Rosella, with brick-red head and nape.  Probably an escape, but still
interesting to
photograph. When I got in front of it, it looked much more like an Eastern
Rosella
with blue cheek-patches, having a sharp cut-off between the brick-red breast
and the
yellow belly.  The vent patch was red.
   The folded wings had a black shoulder and a broad bright blue stripe effect
along the
wing and the primaries were dark.

   The bird flew down to the ground and began to feed on seeding grass in
company with a
pair of Red-rumped Parrots. I could now see the back which was yellow mottled
with
black.
The rump was greenish-yellow and the tail was blue. No calls were heard.

   The abruptly defined yellow 'waistcoat' gives me the idea that it was an
Eastern/Adelaide Rosella hybrid.

   I can send a photo if anyone is interested.

 Anthea Fleming