birding-aus

Black Eared Cuckoo near Orange

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Black Eared Cuckoo near Orange
From: "Steve & Tamara Gross" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:10:27 +1000
Yesterday morning I was at Long Point, a site on the Macqaurie River about
35kms north-east of Orange. I had great views of a Black Eared Cuckoo
calling from the top of a tree. This bird has only been recorded near Orange
a couple of times before. I had good looks at its black face streak and then
when it turned its bare underparts. I had seen a Horsefield’s Bronze Cuckoo
earlier in the morning and when the Black Eared Cuckoo flew off the larger
size as compared to a bronze cuckoo was also very apparent.

At the same site I also had a male and female Brown Goshawk circling over
the treetops for about five minutes. Looking at the size difference between
the male and female was very interesting. Long Point also had the usual
birds including Brown Treecreepers, Diamond Firetails, Crested Shrike-tits,
Spiny Cheeked Honeyeaters and Striped Honeyeaters. Mistletoebirds were also
very active. I may have heard Little Lorikeets which I haven’t seen here for
over a year. There were no signs of any Turquoise Parrots or Peaceful Dices
this time which I usually see here.

Steve Gross

Orange NSW

Checked by AVG.