birding-aus

: RFI Common Blackbirds: help with distribution gaps

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: : RFI Common Blackbirds: help with distribution gaps
From: <>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 09:43:22 +1000
Blackbirds certainly have the ability to move over large distances. They occur on Sub-Antarctic Macquarie Island, where they are self-introduced. Interestingly, there are multiple colonization events, with no records for numbers of years then clusters of records, with territorial singing and suspected breeding followed by a trickle of records for a year or two, before they again disappear. The occasional tough winter probably knocks them out. While Macquarie is ~1500 km south of Tasmania, Sub-Antarctic Campbell Island and Auckland Islands are the nearest stepping stones at 650 to 700 km distant. Blackbirds are clearly capable of flying quite large distances.

I've even seen one from a ship. I'd have to dig out my notes for the exact details but from memory we were at least one days travel south of Tasmania. It was an adult male that flew in from the east, circled the ship twice and then continued west. I doubt that it reached Africa!

Cheers,

Rohan

Rohan Clarke
www.wildlifeimages.com.au