birding-aus

Innaminka Freeway (formerly known as the Strzelecki Track) update

To: <>
Subject: Innaminka Freeway (formerly known as the Strzelecki Track) update
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:21:06 +0930
Hi Folks,

A quick update from Steve Potter and Dave Kowalick on our 3 day lightning
trip to the Strzelecki Track.

First and foremost. The Letter-wing Kites are back and on the nest!! I got
some rubbish photo's with a 3 meg 3x zoom pocket snap digital but they are a
record!!

Secondly the road works have begun to clean up the "Track" between Lyndhurst
and MC Bore so I will take the Porsche up next time. Bitumen?? What the??

Other highlights:
Red-browed Pardalote
Banded Lapwing (7)
Pied Honeyeater
Inland Dotterel
Gibberbird
Lots of Crimson and Orange Chats
A pair of Spotted Harriers
Cinnamon Quail-Thrush x many
Blue-winged Parrot
Rufous Field-wren
Many Thick-billed Grasswren (Modesta) at Mt Lyndhurst - When will someone
split Myall from this one as you'd have to be blind to think they were even
related...
A few Grasswren assumed Eyrean near Montecollina Bore, but the suckers
wouldn't sit still enough for an ID so couldn't tick them

Lastly, the White-winged fairy-wren is definitely not in danger of
extinction in the near future!! They are indeed beautiful creatures despite
them being in almost plague proportions.

Cheers

Steve Potter and Dave Kowalick
Blackwood, South Australia