birding-aus

Re: Fwd: trip to Alice

To: Martin Cake <>, Gary Wright <>, Birding-Aus <>, Nt Birds group <>
Subject: Re: Fwd: trip to Alice
From: Robert Gosford <>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:26:29 +0930
Martin,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - hope you get this prior to departing...please note that I live at Yuendumu - 300km n-w of Alice.

I note you are after tips etc on the following:

- R-C emu-wren - don't know and have never seen one - though I keep looking....

- Spinifex bird - There is a large area of old spinifex just outside of Tennant Creek where I see Spinifex Birds regularly...but that is 500km north of Alice. I also have seen SBs in spinifex (not as old or dense as at TC) here at Yuendumu - cannot suggest anywhere nearer to Alice as I am unfamiliar - keep your eyes and ears open in any (large & not recently burnt) area of old spinifex around the place - I suspect that they are more common than people may think...

- Dusky G-W - no idea - never seen one...but looking

- Crimson Chat - I've seen individuals (more Oranges & some yellows) out here in the hilly country at Yuendumu and occasional large flocks (200) of Crimsons - juveniles, females & males - but these large flocks always seem to be passing through. I see lots of pairs & small family groups in open country - particularly when the grevilleas are flowering - but that will be later in the season - and I suspect very dependent upon rain,

- Pied/black HE - again, early in the season for here - I see Pieds and Black later in the season closer to Christmas and usually after the rains when there is more in flower;

- Little BQ - I only see LBQ's later in the season - often my dogs will 'put-up' up to a dozen from the spinifex on a walk though the Euc/Acacia woodland - but none for months

- Painted Finch - again, around here, seasonal

- Bourkes Parrots - not seen any here (though have at Newhaven)

- Grey HE - once - a the T & T spot near Kunoth Well on a very windy da in September 2006,

- Grey Falcon - Gary sees these more often than me - I have seen them at Newhaven (2005) but not anywhere in the region since...to my eternal regret.

Hope this is of some use - it is, as you may have picked up, a VERY dry year here - lots of plants & animals (no kangaroos with joeys at foot this year) are in survival mode - though the country around here looks (sort of) ok - mostly because we have had a few good seasons prior to last year. There is no surface water and if, as I suspect, the weather heats up soon with no rain a lot of things will do it very tough this year...on the other hand, if we get some good early rain and a mild September & October with follow-up rain later we could have a great year...

I suspect that a lot of 'our' birds followed the storms of late last year over to western Queensland - which by all accounts is the place to be if you are a bird right now...

Cheers and enjoy your time here,

Bob Gosford
Yuendumu

Martin Cake wrote:
Hi Robert

I am a keen birder heading to Alice Springs next weekend for a brief visit. Amanda Markham has already, very kindly, answered most of my questions but suggested I contact you for any recent info on the area - I hope you don't mind. Any info, however brief, would be very much appreciated.
See below my original query and Amanda's reply.

Thanks a lot

Martin

Dr Martin Cake
BSc BVMS(Hons) PhD
Anatomy
Murdoch University Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
South St, Murdoch, Perth, WA 6150
*Ph* 08 9360 2175 *| F 08 9310 4144 *|* *e* <>

Begin forwarded message: