birding-aus

Water tanks and wildlife (Victoria)

To: "Brian Hillman" <>, <>
Subject: Water tanks and wildlife (Victoria)
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:26:43 +1000
The trouble is that in areas where you always have the option of
reverting to mains water when the tank runs out, there's a strong
possibility that people will simply use the tank water for things they
aren't allowed to use mains water for, like their lawn.  If they water
it efficiently, only a fraction of the water will end up leaching
through to the creeks, etc.

I.e they will treat it as free water, when in fact it may be water they
have diverted from their local wetlands.

For some people, their storm water runs directly to the sea, and it's
probably a good thing that it is diverted.  For others, it gets to the
sea via creeks and wetlands.  The point is that very few people will
know what effect their tank is having.

I think that rather than simply encouraging people to have a tank,
people might need to be informed about where their free water is being
diverted from.

Peter Shute

 wrote on Monday, 25 August 2008 2:07
PM: