birding-aus

suburban pheasant coucals

To: 'Birding-Aus' <>
Subject: suburban pheasant coucals
From: Scot Mcphee <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:58:36 +1000
Yesterday got a glimpse at at a juvenile pheasant coucal in our backyard in Auchenflower, Brisbane (inner western suburbs, about 2 km east of Mt Cootha). My wife had earlier got an excellent look at it as it rummaged around in our garden beds - it flew up to the fence where she saw it quite clearly and then it clumsily flew up into the neighbor's macadamia tree. A bit later a pair of currawongs were chasing it away from a nearby tree - I saw it crash back into the dense protection of the macadamia.

About a year ago we saw an adult shoot across our backyard into the hedge so would it be right to assume they are breeding in leafy suburbia? The next door backyard was quite dense and overgrown until recent weeks when yard "improvements" have seen it all cleared out (thank god the trees were spared). But it was always fairly dense with brush turkeys so I would have thought the big male would have chased other ground dwelling birds away - he's aggressive enough even to the magpies.