birding-aus

Question about Grey Butcherbirds

To: Belinda Cassidy <>
Subject: Question about Grey Butcherbirds
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 19:17:10 +1000
Hello Belinda et al

I wonder if they are being fed by people. This might account for the youngsters being able to stay and the number you have in your area. Quality of habitat for foraging as well as breeding sites could determine your quandary.
Hi, Has anyone on the list had much to do with Grey Butcherbirds over a
number of years? If so, I would be grateful if you could help me with a
question about when juveniles leave the territory. The books say 2 years,
but I am wondering there are exceptions?

Our local family has a 2 year old girl, and 3 X 1 year olds (2 boys and a
girl). The breeding pair have built this years nest, and I am wondering if
the 2 year old will most definately leave to mate this year, or is there a
possibility she will stay on?

There are 3 breeding pairs cramped into our area, and the only males already
have partners. There are a total of 4 X 2 year old females. So, I guess I'm
curious to know what may happen in these circumstances? ie 4 girls ready to
mate and no close males?

With the Kookaburras, the eldest girl killed or chased away her mother in
order to breed,but she is a bit of a monster, in terms of size compared to
her mum, and makes an excellent matriach.I have been surpised to see that
the eldest female butcherbird baby has not been fighting with her mother
yet.

Thanks for helping with this- I'm eternally curious about these birds.

Cheers,