birding-aus

Crimson Rosella ring speciation debunked

To: <>
Subject: Crimson Rosella ring speciation debunked
From: "John Martindale" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:44:13 +1000
I am pleased to hear that CSIRO (Dr Dolman) has finally formally debunked
this old classic "Keastian" speciation theorum but, with respect Laurie (you
couldn't have known :-) , it is hardly "hot" news off the press.

It formed the conclusion of my Honours thesis back in 1974 and was supported
by various hybrid specimens held by the CSIRO collection and Dr. Richard
Schodde that were collected in NE Victoria around that time. A copy of this
thesis is or was held by CSIRO and Richard was involved in its preparation.
I suggested the answer might lie in the various isolated flow patterns of
the Quaternary Inland (ancestral Murray) River system which were described
by Pels (1971) "River systems and climate changes in SE Australia" In:
Aboriginal Man and his Environment in Australia. Ed Mulvaney and Solson. ANU
Press, Canberra. No doubt a lot more is known about this today.

I have not yet read Dr Dolman's paper but am pleased that new techniques and
analyis appear to have reached acceptance in the scientific community and
which support Richard's and my contention of over 30 years ago. My
supervisor at the time, Dr Neil Murray, of the Genetics Department, Latrobe
University, deserves credit for his foresight, way back then into the
questions that all ring species theory asks.

Regards

John Martindale
29 Jane Circuit
Toormina NSW 2452
AUSTRALIA

ph: 61 2 66584767
email:
web:www.members.optusnet.com.au/johnjanet/Martindale.htm
<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Application%20Data/Micr
osoft/Signatures/www.members.optusnet.com.au/johnjanet/Martindale.htm>