birding-aus

Fiordland Penguin (Royal) in Geelong

To: "Chris Baxter" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Fiordland Penguin (Royal) in Geelong
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:47:00 +1000
I emailed the zoo.  They think it's an immature Fiordland Penguin, but
aren't definite about it.  It's too sick to do any measurements or take
photos.  They'll investigate further in about a week, assuming it
survives the next 24 hours.

Peter Shute

 wrote on Wednesday, 30 July 2008 8:45
AM:

> Hi All
>
> It looks very much like an immature Fiordland Penguin to me.
> I have collected quite a few of these (beach - derelicts)
> from S coast of Kangaroo Island, SA over past years and am
> reasonably familiar with the species. Head, crest and
> importantly, under-wing (flipper) patterning, seemed to be a good fit
> for Fiordland.
>
> Bruce, in your email you mention Royal Penguin and follow it
> with Erect-crested in brackets. Did you mean to put Macaroni
> in brackets as it is the type specimen for Royal sub-species.
> Erect-crested is a species of its own.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris Baxter

ews.html.
It looks like Fiordland to me - with the only other option (with black
face) a Macaroni Penguin (Eudyptes chrysolophus). What do you think?

Cheers,

Tim Dolby