birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant Saturday 26 July

To: birding birding-aus <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant Saturday 26 July
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:47:10 +1000
Hi all

I popped out to the WTP yesterday morning to look for the Little Stint. There were fewer birders than last week - and sadly, fewer Little Stints!

Nobody I spoke to saw it yesterday, and to my knowledge it hasn't been seen since Tues 22nd, and possibly since last Sunday (20th).

I did see a stint with an obvious reddish head - but only from a distance of almost 100m. A group of very experienced Geelong Field Nats birders called it as breeding plumaged Red-necked Stint, and their Canadian friend (who knows breeding Little Stint very well) agreed with this ID. It was a bit of a heart-starter, seeing a stint with reddish colouring over most of the face and head - but the extent of the colouring, and the greyer centres to feathers on the back both indicated RNS according to my hide companions who had much better optics (and experience) than me! Also, and I had to concur on this as well, this bird looked as big as the biggest of the RNS's on the same patch of sand, and it's movements were exactly the same as the birds around it.

Any theories on the Little Stint? Moved on to another part of the WTP? Left the district completely (to where)? Eaten by one of the many birds of prey we saw yesterday? Our northern Victorian friends might like to have a look around Lake Murphy over the next few weeks - there was a suggestion in the past that some birds leaving Werribee go there as their first point of call. Any comments?

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

Geelong   Victoria   Australia
http://www.birding-aus.org