birding-aus

Of common bird names and such..

Subject: Of common bird names and such..
From: David Kowalick <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:40:02 -0700
Language is a wonderful thing and the inevitable colloquialisms that
emerge in any given sub-culture are part of what makes life interesting
and fun in my view. Sure there is a place for standard nomenclature in
scientific and national journals and the like but to stifle the
creativity and charm of evolving language smacks of verbal fascism.

Even the standard names were all once the arbitrary outcome of localised
cult. I’m pretty sure no one asked any aboriginal people if it would be
okay if we dump their many-millennia-old names for such imaginative
labels as ‘Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike’ (which is more of a long-winded
description than a name) or Crested Shrike-tit with all its implicit
Northern Hemisphere, European colonialism imposed on the name of what is
one of Australia’s most charming birds, (at least in the top 750 of the
most charming that is).

( And don’t get me started on ‘New Holland Honey Eater!)

I believe the uniqueness of our endemic birds is somewhat diluted by
these imperial impositions and that the fostering of new common names
which reflect a greater appreciation of our distinctive land and fauna
has got to be a step in the right direction.

Origma has got my vote for sure.