birding-aus

Little Stint

To: "'John Reidy'" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Little Stint
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:19:09 +1000
Ruth and I in the company of Bill and Jack Moorhead and Karen Blake saw the
Little Stint this morning around 11:00am at the first pond on the right when
entering the WTP by the Beach Road gate. Another birder saw the bird around
9:45 am but by the time we entered the plant it had flown off. We went to
the hide to see if it was there but no luck, so came back to the gate via
the coastal road. From the coastal side of the pond we had pretty good
views, but then it flew out onto one of the mini-islands in the pond. We
drove around to the other side of the pond and had amazing views - even as
close as 3-4 metres away. I'll post some pictures somewhere shortly.

There was no sign of any Red-necked Stints in breeding or semi-breeding
plumage in that pond, however on the ponds to side of the inland road to the
Borrow Pits, near the artificial cormorant towers, we saw a number of
Red-necked Stints in various stages of breeding plumage. The overall sense
that I got was that the Little Stint appeared much "brighter" and more
defined than the Red-necks. I'm sure that someone else can come up with a
more precise description.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Melbourne