birding-aus

Little Stint

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Little Stint
From: John Reidy <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:40:02 +1000
Hi all,

Caught the 6.00 am flight from Sydney yesterday to arrive at Avalon airport and thence via taxi to the end of Beach Road near Lake Borrie. Here I coincidently met up with Colin Judkins whom I had met in Cooktown earlier this year. I was due to meet up with Alan Benson from the Central Coast (of NSW) who turned up a bit later with Nigel (forgot surname sorry) from Castlemaine. We had met Nigel at the site of the Javan Pond-Heron in Darwin. We first saw the bird from near the hide at the mouth of Little River at about 10.00 am and later at the first pond near Beach Road. There were also 20 - 30 other birders in attendance at various times.

Beware of a Red-necked Stint in breeding plumage. Fortunately we were able to compare the two. The mantle lines of the Little Stint were quite clear and were the obvious differentiating marks for the bird. The photographs taken by Peter Fuller and Tim Dolby? seem to show the bird as paler than what it appeared yesterday. The pale throat was hard to see and the mantle lines appeared cream coloured rather than white as in Peter Fuller's images. Could this be a function of light and photographic effects?

I would be interested to see some images taken of the bird yesterday for comparison.

Happy twitching.

--
John Reidy
Sydney