birding-aus

Some good birds around Brisbane

To: <>
Subject: Some good birds around Brisbane
From: Tony Eales <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:35:26 +0000
This post is part informative part skite. On the 12th of this month I saw a
group of three Crested Shrike-Tit accompanied by two Eastern Yellow Robins at
close quarters at Brisbane Forest Park Manorina section. Don't know if this is
unusual but it's a lifer for me. When I got back home to the Brisbane suburb of
Virginia there was young Collared Sparrowhawk in my backyard being harassed by
miners, butcher birds,  BiFCuS, PH Rosellas  and ultimately by me trying to get
a photo. A very good day. I've seen adult CSH twice at Virginia Park and the
neighbour says they come and "inspect" his cockatiels and budgies but I'm glad
to see that they've successfully bred this year. As I write this at 1:30am I
can hear Bush Stone Curlew calling eerily in the park.

Also, and apologies that this report is a late but in the previous week on the
morning of the 3rd I heard a Marbled Frogmouth at approx 5 am on Mt Tambourine,
Pine Grove section but couldn't track it down for a look as it only called
twice and thereafter remained silent until the sun rose and I gave up. Again I
don't know if this is unusual but I do know it's a sought after bird and this
might be another place to try for it esp since people should be in the area
looking for Lyrebirds this time of year.

Cheers Tony