birding-aus

Garmin GPS

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: Garmin GPS
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 05:27:09 +1000
Paul, it appears that Dave and Marj just want to record the locations of
certain plants so they can find them again later. The maps wouldn't be required
for that - will those units run without the maps?

I guess an important feature would be the ability to reload an old track and
give directions to any point on that track.  The electronic compass might make
that much easier, but I've never used one.

I think the barometer helps overcome the wildly imprecise nature of GPS
heights, if the recording of heights is important.  I don't know if it's
typical, but mine (built into my phone) can suddenly vary by up to 100m.

Peter Shute

Sent using BlackBerry