birding-aus

Hobby hunting in low-light

Subject: Hobby hunting in low-light
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 23:42:16 +0000
Hi Richard,

I must say I have not yet seen the Hobby(ies) along the M4, but I drive home
to Penrith along it every night. Last night about 5pm, when I left work near
Prospect Reservoir, I saw a BS Kite hovering very close to the road at Prospect
Highway (spewing, didn't have my camera gear as it was at eye level almost)
and two again along the M4 after the Roper Road exit westbound.

I have, however, seen Hobbies hunting in relatively low light outside my
work, mostly around Jan-Feb this year along Picrite Close, Greystanes West.
In fact, I did see them around the place for that period mostly all day,
but they moved on, perhaps to another part of their territory?

Also, I have seen a pair of BS Kites building a nest on the GW Highway, near
Doonside Road, but when I checked the place again (after a four week absence)
I didn't see activity. will keep checking back.

Cheers
Akos L.