birding-aus

FW: [Birding-Aus] biogeography of the Otway Range

To: birding aus <>
Subject: FW: [Birding-Aus] biogeography of the Otway Range
From: Glen Crothers <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:59:11 +1000

From: : : RE:
[Birding-Aus] biogeography of the Otway RangeDate: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:51:16
+1000

Glen, my good friend,
How are you?  I was wondering how I could report a remarkable bird sighting I
had up here recently.  A flock of about 40 Superb Parrots was cruising around
the Caldwell area – I was visiting at a farm and the couple on the farm and
myself had leisurely views of these magnificent parrots, but definitely a first
recording for our area – they’re known to breed in the Barmah Forest which is
only about 90 km away.

Geoff Leslie
Pastor, Koondrook-Barham Baptist
50 Mellool St, Barham NSW  2732
web site:  www.ruralministry.org

-----Original Message-----From: Glen Crothers
: Saturday, 1 March 2008 8:23 PMTo: Geoff
LeslieSubject: FW: [Birding-Aus] biogeography of the Otway Range

> From: > To: > Date: Thu, 28 Feb
> 2008 21:03:37 +1100> Subject: [Birding-Aus] biogeography of the Otway Range>
> > Michael Todd asked whether it is true that Eastern Whipbird and Superb
> Lyrebird are absent from the Otway Range in southern western Victoria. The
> answer is yes, along with some other wet forest birds as listed by Peter
> Fuller. Similar gaps appear in the mammal fauna - no Greater Glider or
> Mountain Brushtail Possum, no Brush-tailed Phascogale [not really a wet
> forest species but curiously absent] and no Common Wombat although this
> species used to occur on the Otway Plain to the north of the range and has
> inexplicably never been recorded in the Otway Range proper, even though the
> habitat would seem ideal.> > The usual explanation is that the savannah
> grasslands of the Victorian Volcanic Plain were a barrier to movement of
> these missing species [except the Wombat]. The Volcanic Plain extends to the
> sea in the Werribee-Avalon region and on the Bellarine Peninsula preventing
> forest-dependent species with little dispersal capability from crossing. > >
> Thus the Otway Range, and Wilsons Promontory for that matter, have bird and
> mammal faunas that can be considered intermediate between those of the
> forests of eastern Victoria and Tasmania.> > Peter Menkhorst>
> ==========www.birding-aus.org> birding-aus.blogspot.com> > To unsubscribe
> from this mailing list, > send the message:> unsubscribe > (in the body of
> the message, with no Subject line)> to: >

Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au. It's simple!