birding-aus

raptor prey (was sea eagle observation)

To: "Paul Dodd" <>
Subject: raptor prey (was sea eagle observation)
From: "Douglas Carver" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 06:28:19 -0600
I know Cooper's Hawks here in North America (they are small accipiters) will
decapitate pigeons and leave the body untouched in a similar manner to
Jill's Peregrine.  I observed this  once in a peculiar way.  I was walking
under a broad-limbed tree, and something fell from above and landed by my
toes, just missing my head.  It was a headless feral pigeon.  As one might
imagine, I was startled -- when I looked up in the tree, and an extremely
angry Cooper's was glaring at me (forgive the anthropomorphism), having just
lost its meal.  Dare I say when it flew off soon after, it flew off in a
huff?

Douglas Carver
Albuquerque, New Mexico
United States

--
Dilexi iustitiam et odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio.

(I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile.)

-- the last words of Saint Pope Gregory VII (d. 1085)