birding-aus

Flock Bronzwing Cunnamulla

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Flock Bronzwing Cunnamulla
From: "Allan Benson" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:16:35 +1000
There are small numbers of Flock Bronzewing still present at Cunnamulla.
Between 8.00 and 9.30 on the 7th June 2008 I sighted about 100 birds
(which probably represented 30-50 individuals as I’m sure I kept seeing
the saw flocks at different times). These were seen at around the 30 km
point north of Cunnamulla on the Charleville Rd. They were seen between
the telephone towers and just north of Nardoo Homestead. My impression
was all birds were immatures but bear in mind I saw none on the deck and
even though I flushed a flock twice off the edge of the road, they were
gone before I could get my binoculars up. The two I did get in my bins
were certainly immatures.

Despite nearly 50 mm of rain just in the week prior, most of the borrow
pits are dry. The first one at about the 28 km mark and the last one at
the 50 Km have some water but these are not that close to where I saw
the birds.

The Mitchell Grass plains looks fantastic and there are lots of other
birds around including Little Button Quail, Brown Quail, Budgies,
Cockatiel, Brown Songlark, Sing Bushlark, Australasian Pipit, Zebra
Finch, Crimson Chat. Raptors are there in numbers, the most common being
Brown Falcon but had great views of Spotted Harrier and Black Falcon.

Best Regards

Allan Benson

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG.