birding-aus

Little Bittern at Herdsman Lake WA

To: email list <>
Subject: Little Bittern at Herdsman Lake WA
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 18:25:58 +0800

Sorry this report is a little delayed.  I needed to check the details.  Grant & Clare Morton from Broome were visiting Perth recently and saw a Little Bittern at the south end of Herdsman Lake on 27th April.  The details from Grant of the sighting are :

Little Bittern yes just the 1 and it wasn't long after starting coming along the pathway from John Sanders dve towards the wildlife centre so about 1500 and dull as overcast. Opposite Moondine Dve there is a loop of track that goes right down to the water and the bittern was on the far side - not very wide - I was scanning the reed bed and had to go back as something moved took a while to realise what I was looking at as it's so small, then spent another 20 mins gob smacked.

Little Bittern is seen at Herdsman Lake, but there are very few reports.  Maybe one or two a year.

He also saw a Restless Flycatcher near the pony club at the north end, which is rare on the Swan coastal plain.