birding-aus

The decline of ornithological publications(was: rant against twitching)

To: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Subject: The decline of ornithological publications(was: rant against twitching)
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 13:18:27 +1000
This whole nonsense of 'blaming someone' for a perceived lack of
scientific output from birdwatchers holds no water with me at all. I
know of no other hobby (and I've been heavily involved in a few) where
so much guilt is levelled at others for not pursuing their hobby in
the prescribed manner. So what if there are birders out there purely
enjoying looking at birds? I can't think of a better way to wring the
joy from my experiences than the thought of writing up every
observation or atlassing every trip. If you think there should be more
science output maybe you should work harder? Otherwise, let us enjoy
our hobby in the way we see fit.

Except for Twitchers, who are clearly evil and responsible for almost
every problem we face today.

EB

--
Evan Beaver