birding-aus

Osprey Nest Ulladulla, South Coast NSW

To: "Mike Jarman" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Osprey Nest Ulladulla, South Coast NSW
From: "Bob Moffatt" <>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 07:04:00 +1000
Mike,
in northern NSW there are many examples of the utilisation of artificial structures and the provision of purpose-built structures and additions to structures for nesting purposes. Sometimes this use can conflict with the intended use or management of the original structure. Ospreys can also be vunerable particularly on power poles - there have been several electrocutions that I am aware of, and they can interfere with power supplies and nests can become a fire hazard on active power poles.

Ospreys may be encouraged to nest in/at/on more appropriate locations/sites where circumstances dictate (note may) - depends on various site characteristics. Deterrants or even exclusion devices may be required at former sites.

The importance of artificial structures in the recovery of the Osprey should not be underestimated. I believe on average that artificial structures produce more young per nest than natural nest sites as they are less prone to collapse than the old dead trees that they naturally nest in. In the Richmond valley two nest trees collapsed last year and we lost one only a week or so back - we now have only one nest tree and eight or nine nests on structures. It would be desirable in some circumstances for the authorities to provide alternative nesting sites (poles with nest cradles) where traditional natural nesting sites have failed. And yes birds whose natal sites were on artificial structures may well only recognise such as nesting sites when they mature (!!??).

I am happy to provide further info if requested.

Bob Moffatt