birding-aus

Local extinction?

To: "Baus" <>
Subject: Local extinction?
From: "Graham Turner" <>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 11:34:32 +1000
Maybe not.

I went to both the McNamara's Rd and west of Borroloola (is that enough 'l's, and 'o's) looking for Carpantarian Grasswren. I dipped at both, but it seems that less and less birders are going to the Borroloola site in favour of the Mt Isa site which is easier to get to. My point is this, how long would it take for birds to be noticed once they disappear from more remote site? Fortunately in this case the area looked fantastic for G'wrens, better than most of the other areas I looked, with mature Spinifex. So many areas looked like they were becoming less suitable for G'wrens due to too much burning.

Cheers
Graham Turner