birding-aus

Local extinction?

To: "Paul Dodd" <>
Subject: Local extinction?
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 16:58:02 +1000
I guess this raises the issue as well Paul of how important it is to record
(if you are going to record!) all species seen - I have come across people
who refuse to record sightings of "ferals" - but without such recording how
do we document their spread and (hopefully!) decline. Equally some of the
reports I see in some of the online databases indicate that people tend to
report the rare birds but not the common ones (even if not feral) - for
example last time I checked one of the databases showed that Black Swan was
recorded on 60% of all visits to the Western Treatment Plant, Werribee - yet
it would be a rare visit there when a swan was not seen I suspect!