birding-aus

Keys to Cheetham Salt-works, Adelaide SA (long)

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Keys to Cheetham Salt-works, Adelaide SA (long)
From: "Philip Griffin" <>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 00:35:14 +0930
Greetings,

Following on from Tony Russell's posting on Thursday about the story in
Adelaide's Advertiser about possible transformation of some of the Dry Creek
saltworks into residential developments, I relate the following information:

I was at the Dry Creek office a week ago to borrow a key to get into the salt
pans near St Kilda.
The saltworks used to be owned by Penrice Soda, now they're owned by
Cheetham Salt, and they are commonly referred to as "Penrice".

The helpful woman at the desk where you pick up the keys
kindly informed me of a change that will almost certainly be happening.

Apparently when she started working there (not that long ago) there were 8
birdwatching keys. Now she has only 3. I asked why this was the case?
She said that basically people have come in and borrowed them and
never returned them.

Quite astonishing, really. When you consider that a few years ago, when
the business of indemnity and liability erupted, there was a strong possibility
that the owners of Dry Creek would make the place off limits to birdwatchers.

Before liability reared its ugly head, you could have a key permanently (or
at least for a year at a time).
It changed so that you have to pick up a key on the day that you go, with
the idea being that it is returned, if not the same day, then the next day
if you're picking the key up late afternoon for an early morning visit.

So, with all these keys effectively stolen, Cheetham's going to change all its
locks. The people who've kept keys won't be able to use them.

When Cheetham change the locks, you will need to leave a $30 deposit
to borrow a key.  This will be a pain if your saltworks trip is late in the day,
and you're returning the key to the letter-box at the end of the drive-way.
They'll have to post you your refund.

I think it is worth considering that the company gains nothing by making
the place available to birdwatchers, and the hassle and expense to them
of changing locks and administering deposit refunds is not inconsequential.

It was suggested that should the inconvenience factor grow much further,
birdwatchers would be barred.

Perhaps none of the people who've kept keys are readers of Birding-Aus?
(But they are birdwatchers, these are birdwatchers' keys I'm talking about)

Has the situation regarding access to McGrath's Hill (near Windsor NSW)
ever been resolved? Maybe some former regulars to that place could tell us
what it's like to have a wonderful birdwatching area taken off-limits?

My impression is that even if all Dry Creek keys were to miraculously appear
back at the office tomorrow, the wheels are in motion to replace the locks and
start the deposit rigmarole.  Maybe not though... do you think it's worth a try?

--
Philip Griffin
philipgriffin.at.gmail.com