birding-aus

Flights of Oystercatchers

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Flights of Oystercatchers
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:34:07 +1000
It is interesting how aspects of bird behaviour can suddenly strike you as being strange. I'm used to seeing small numbers of oystercatchers feeding together and large numbers roosting together, but not sizeable flocks flying together.

While having a picnic in the vicinity of Cleveland Pt [SEQ] I noticed successive flights of Pied Oystercatchers heading south [i.e. heading away from the Manly wader roost] - around about the peak time of a modest high tide. While the first two flights were made up of a dozen or so birds, the third flight had 40-50 birds.

An interesting contrast to the single Osprey out stalking the mullet.

Regards, Laurie.