birding-aus

Crashes in Migrant numbers may be World Wide

To: Carl Clifford <>, Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Crashes in Migrant numbers may be World Wide
From: Tun Pin Ong <>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 06:21:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,

It is important to convince the general public that
the reduction in shorebird's number is wolrdwide or
for some major flyways.

Despite the widely accepted downward trend there is
still a new species discovered among them - the
recently discovered but not-yet-officially- named
"White-faced" plover wintering in Thailand, Malaysia
and Singapore.

However, there is one exception - the endangered
Nordmann's Greenshank is increasing in Malaysia this
few years, at least for one site. Am I judging it too
narrowly by data collected on one site? It is hard to
get an overall picture for this particular case.

See the blog http://nordmannsgreenshank.blogspot.com/

For other unprotected sites such as the Penrhyn
Estuary in Sydney, the shorebird is getting
disappointing each year until it is so difficult to
spot a Red Knot nowadays during its peak southward
migration.

Regards,
Tun-Pin Ong
St Leonards NSW