birding-aus

Suberb Lyrebird and Dingo

Subject: Suberb Lyrebird and Dingo
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:40:17 +1000
Sorry about the slow reply - I have been off chasing Regent Parrots near Euston
for the last few days.
Indeed there are dingoes still in the Warragamba Catchment - it was one of the
species that we were looking at during surveys a few years ago (and yes there
was a student doing a PhD on genetics).
Attached is a link to the profile that we came up with (I didn't write this
one, the maps are mainly my work though I admit they have problems).
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/threatenedspecies/07471tpagssvol2pt9mammals1.pdf
The rest of the report is here and might be of interest
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/threatenedspecies/faunasouthsydney.htm
Cheers,
Peter> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:01:52 +1000> From: > To:
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Suberb Lyrebird and Dingo> CC:
> > Hi Neil,> > A dingo? In the Blueys? Preposterous.
Do they have a distinctive howl?> Could have a lot of fun trying to track that
down, it'd be a great one> for my BMCC list.> > EB> > On 4/13/08, Neil Kirby
<> wrote:> > As I was walking through Blue Gum Swamp,
Winmalee (63km west of Sydney)> > this morning I was caught in a series of
thundery showers that seemed to> > encourage several Superb Lyrebirds to burst
into song. One bird near the> > turn-off to Bees Nest Hill began to repeatedly
imitate the weird> > cackling call of the White-throated Nightjar. The
lightening and thunder> > also seemed to unsettle a Dingo that began howling on
Grose Head South> > as I climbed out of the valley opposite on Shaw's Ridge.> >
mailing list,> > send the message:> > unsubscribe> > (in the body of the
message, with no Subject line)> > to: > >
Mountains, NSW> lat=-33.77, lon=150.64> ===============================>