birding-aus

Chinese Pond Heron near Broome WA

Subject: Chinese Pond Heron near Broome WA
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:19:44 +0800

I saw the bird again this morning at 09:45. It flushed as soon as it saw me (about 50 metres away), and I did not relocate it in 20 minutes searching. I flushed it three times in an hour on Sunday, but failed to see it in an hour yesterday (Monday). It is a very shy bird. Chris Hassell has good photos through a scope.

If you are thinking of going for it, I would strongly recommend a full 4WD (i.e. not a RAV4 or equivalent). There has been quite a bit of rain in the area, even though they forecast the standard 'isolated showers'. Be prepared to wade through quite a bit of water (less than knee deep), looking for the bird. Best to wade bare foot. Fortunately there are almost no mosquitos when wading (quite a few where you park the car and lots at the BBO), and no leeches! And no crocodiles (never seen at the location, but would not be impossible). The Broome Bird Observatory, Chris Hassell and Adrian Boyle know the details of where it has been seen.

The Franklin's Gull is still around after four months. Mostly at the sewage ponds, but it does make visits elsewhere including the main oval in town.

There were a few possible Red-rumped Swallows seen, but not seen well enough to be certain.