birding-aus

Re: Travel insurance - non birding (sort of..)

To: <>
Subject: Re: Travel insurance - non birding (sort of..)
From: "Billinghurst, David (RTATECH)" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:29:06 +1100
> From: Carl Clifford

> I strongly recommend going through your renters terms and conditions

> with a fine tooth comb. Looking through Budget's T&C's, there are

> some cuties e.g. you can not take their cars onto islands unless

> connected to the mainland by a bridge, which rules out Stradbroke,

> Fraser & Magnetic Islands, not to mention Tassie. Also in the ski

> season you can not take their wheels "above the snow-line", but they

> do not define what constitutes "the snow-line". Having been ripped

> off by car rental companies O.S., I now check the agreements and the

> cars scrupulously, and even take photographs of the entire vehicle.

Absolutely.  They are all available on the web and should be checked
line-by-line before hiring.

Some classic terms and conditions include:

*         not allowed to be on the road outside town limits after dark
in WA

*         not allowed on a vehicle ferry, including across the Daintree
River

*         lack of insurance cover if you damage the suspension by
hitting a pothole
THRIFTY: Damage or loss to the undercarriage of the Vehicle or to any
other property arising from contact between the undercarriage and any
object, obstruction or road surface regardless of cause. The
undercarriage means any exposed components including but not limited to,
wheels and tyres, engine, transmission, sumps, differential, suspension,
exhaust system, fuel tank, floor pan, tailgate lifters and ramps or any
other mechanical or structural item

It is worthwhile ringing the local office in advance to clear your
itinerary.  I will put in a plug for the Avis office at Cairns Airport,
who were most helpful when I was planning a family trip - with a little
birding - around FNQ.

      David

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are private and confidential and may contain
privileged information. If you are not an authorised recipient, the copying or
distribution of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited and you must not
read, print or act in reliance on this e-mail or attachments.
This notice should not be removed.